Saturday, October 31, 2009

Musical maturity

I was thinking of a conversation I was having with a couple of friends once. How liking jazz and slow and beautiful music shows you're maturing and definitely shows a maturity in music taste. I'm wondering more about that conversation sitting as I'm typing this post. I'm listening to Norah Jones's "Feels Like Home" and downloading two other albums of hers simulateaously. It's beautiful in the truest sense of the word. She really has inherited an immense amount of talent from her father. Although juxtaposing her and her sister Anoushka will be very unfair, a person like me can't help but bring up comparison between siblings of a stature as high as theirs. I am,of course,ignoring the likes of Amaan and Ayaan Ali Khan and Suha,Shaona and Armaan Khan (children of Ustd. Rashid Khan. Too early to judge given they're children but,well,let's just say you ought to give me the benefit of doubt here). Anoushka is the much media exposed and indulging-all-the-attention kind of sibling. She is talented without a doubt,but there's a certain difference between her and Norah. The latter's quiet, soaked in her art and very humble. I heard Anoushka in a few concerts and all I can say is that she plays like a dream when in jugalbandi with her father,but loses everything when she plays alone,confidence and aesthetic sense.
Never mind. We're really no one to discuss "celebrities". I judge their music. Without a doubt, jazz is like a dream. That's not forming any basis for my bias though.Maybe my interest in jazz will give Rahul Khanna a chance to like me :D

1 comment:

Hyphen said...

To hell with Jazz.... I tell you its Alternative all the way!