Friday, July 3, 2009

Farewell to thee,Moonwalk man!

There has not been a single dance competition in which I hadn't seen the "break-dance" being performed. There's not a single Pujo that passed without playing MJ's songs. Such was the impact of the "Jacksonian" globalisation. And for anything to seep into the cultural life of a traditional and orthodox bengali is like a big achievement. So MJ was a bigger achiever than he could ever have fathomed when he was living.
I came to know of his death from a friend who messaged me the morning the whole nation woke up to the news. I was happily catching up on my daily dose of "FRIENDS" when the message shocked the wits out of me. Surely his death was sudden and rather unexpected. I mean...most of the pop stars born way before him are still alive. MJ was all of 50! Yeah rockstars have short lives (ref: Jim Morrison). That's also why they are rockstars!
MJ was the first "ingleees" musician I had ever heard. I was all of three when MJ was really at his peak. "Dangerous" was the radio station's favourite album. Surely,ignoring the criticisms about his music being bad, there was something in the music. The energy. That was just at the highest levels all along.
MJ's videos have also been some of the best and most extravagantly made in the history of music. There is surely no comparison for "Black or White" or "Remmeber the Time"'s videos.

While his music may not be as phenomenal as people are NOW claiming it is (with all due respect to the dead), his music's fun to listen to,and definitely very fresh,whenever you hear it. There's tonnes of nostalgia attached to his music for me,and the performer that MJ was will always be remembered.

2 comments:

The Dark Side Of The Moon said...

Was never a fan.

Still not a fan.

Was never indifferent but.He never gave anyone that choice.

I hope he finds his Neverland. :)

P.S.This kinda got me started with Idle Musings II :P

Priyanshi said...

I hope so too :)