Friday, August 15, 2008

On a public holiday....

It's independence day. The 62nd i think....i think....
I'll tell you what makes me so indifferent. Yesterday,i was out in the night around 9 pm. It was then that i caught site of a huge crowd huddled around one shop. I was wondering whether there was a huge brawl or something ( which,by the way,is very commonplace). I went nearer and it was then that i realized what was going on. It was a liquor shop people were huddled around. Today's a dry day,so people were stocking up their booze for today. That's what they'll do on this independence day....booze and curse the city and the country for what it is. They'd surely justify their actions...all these working class men in their office attire returning home from work.

Yeah...why SHOULD they really care? for this city? for this country?
It was only yesterday that i was on my way to college. I took a bus from home that crosses Ruby General Hospital and takes the bypass route. I left at 9 am,thinking I'd reach my college (located on college street) in an hour or so. Fate,however,had other plans. I was standing in this crowded bus (with men sitting indifferently and at their chivalrous best,the women standing and too used to the common state of affairs) for 45 minutes and the bus had only reached midway to Ruby ( a journey that takes me 2 minutes to cover otherwise). Livid,i got off the bus and scrapped my plans of attending college and came back home,unable to decide all the way whom to blame for this situation.

There are too many examples to cite at the moment,but the optimistic patriot that I am,i'll try and forget them for a while. We are a developing country,yes. We better support our country. True. But hello? What have i got from being an optimist? A person who's always supported all the moves of my country?

When the inflation rates were at their highest in the past six years, I explained to my layman friends that this was bound to happen. India needs to choose now,between growth and prices. So you better stop complaining. I also explained to my friends how they should stop complaining about the rising oil prices,saying the amount that our country pays for each barrel far exceeds the amount we're shelling out of our pockets. There's a limit to subsidization! the country has to take a step someday!!!

And here's what i get....the Garia Metro station's construction finished nearly 3 years back,but it is still not operational,because of some land dispute. Oh and Nandigram? people JUST don't tire of that bloody issue. A certain woman,who dresses in a dirty white sari and claims she is poor and patriotic(her eyebrows are always finely plucked and she gets regular facials done,btw), is still not over with this cat and mouse chase.

And i keep on waiting....for the world to change!

7 comments:

The Dark Side Of The Moon said...

I quote Joplin: "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"...and looking at independence that way,well I guess we've got a lot at stake here...so that's my cynical yet optimistic view after reading your blog.Btw,may I add what a welcomed relief it was from the sudden deluge of intense ignorant patriotism all around on this day? :-)

Mono said...

hmmm...was very inspiring!but you see...even with everything...you still have to a/c for the fact that india is what's made us what we are today...agreed that there are some imperfections here and there...but these imperfections will be present in every economy,no matter how developed or prospering...as for nandigram and all the other related issues it is true we don't actually have the creme de la creme to choose from as far as a whole lot of unsavoury issues are concerned and desperate changes to the present scenario are crying out to be introduced...but in the end...we're all Indian aren't we?!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaushik Bose said...

I almost thought the same way few years ago. Then realized more I think, more I'll be frustrated.Unfortunately the people who are ruling our nation never want these problems to be solved.The political parties are here for VOTE.What else do you except in a multi-party system.I have friends,(educated friends!!!)for whom independence day is just another holiday....relax...catch a movie....booze...what to do????? From my childhood,I have learnt that India is a developing country...I don't know whether I'll ever see India as a developed country.Patriotism is a feeling...how many of us know who wrote our national anthem????? what is the duration of the song????We can't even control our population...lack of education,poverty....we have not reached anywhere in 61 years...sorry...i'm sounding too pessimistic i suppose.... there are still hopes for this country...my next generation is thinking positive...there is hope...still...I do plays in these days...to remember the sacrifices..to let my next generation know about the freedom struggle...my little way to show my respect to my nation...there are more things to say....many more doors to open....many more views to exchange....some other time.......just think positive...keep on thinking positive...that's the only way we can proceed....our India will progress......

Rene Lacoste said...

Sab bekaar!!! It was the 61st Independence Day!!! None of you spotted that!!!

On a more serious note, forget for a moment that alcohol is something "bad" and all. Consider now that on the 15th of August, those who want to drink are not free to exercise their choice. How does it reflect on our nation's character?

Rene Lacoste said...

In addition to that, I urge you to think about that last line, "And I keep on waiting....for the world to change"

@dark side of the moon
That particular line on intense ignorant patriotism....What do you think about V-Day, Raksha Bandhan, Diwali, Holi, Durga Puja...?

@Kaushik
There exist problems...agreed. But the sort of fatalistic hope you talk about is not the way forward...

I don't mean to be preachy. It is very easy to assume a blindly patriotic or an equally myopic cynical stand on the issues plaguing our country...Its easy to sit back in our chairs and type away reams on how things are how they are and would never change...

The Dark Side Of The Moon said...

@Rene Lacoste

They are as bad..!
See,no one's attacking the emotion and sentiments that these occasions carry,but to be blinded by it ,is rather misleading ,be it blind love,blind religion,..and for that matter blind patriotism...and more so..when it becomes an issue for propaganda or business..or both..!
Sometimes one does prefer dark glasses to rosy-tinted ones..! :)