Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Finally the number of followers has risen from the unlucky 13 to 14. Weeee :)

Had a whirlwind trip to Mumbai. It's unbelievable how bad a planner my dad is. We took the Geetanjali (33 hours journey,yes!) on friday, landed in the middle of a bustling Dadar on Saturday night, had a crazy day in the city on sunday and whoop! 4 am, Monday morning, preparing to jump onto the train again.

All the lack of foresight apart, it was Mumbai I experienced almost fully for the few hours I got to be there. My first impression of the city was that it isn't any different from my Kolkata. Dirty, confused, hoarding laden and chaotic. What puts it on a higher pedestal than Kolkata is, of course, the spirit. I fell in love with it, period. There's nothing more commendable about a city than its citizens, who work hard round the clock and don't care who thinks what. When you are stuck behind someone in Kolkata in a crowded place, you know you're dead. There's no one in Mumbai,on the other hand, who'll block your way. Everyone's running and you can run just as fast, the wind in your hair and all that jazz. For someone whose adrenaline flows at the thought of competition, like me, Mumbai is the place to be it seemed. A day is too less to base your judgement upon, but well, for a city that never sleeps, and which overwhelmed me as soon as I got off the train, I fell in love with it head over heels. And no qualms, mind you. Vada pav, marathi manus et al, it's a bigger and better version of Kolkata. I'm coming soon :)

P.S. on a local on saturday night, 11:30 pm, I met a bengali father-daughter duo. The girl was all of four and chattering away in bengali. I swear, I couldn't help myself. I carried on a long conversation with the kid, almost breathing a huge sigh of relief, of assurance..whatever I think is now unfathomable. There's a hardcore bangali sitting in me. No kidding.

2 comments:

Expectations Be..nd said...

I don't remember when is the last time I have seen someone judging a city by what it appeared on a 'Sunday'. :D

You should have waited on till Monday, bujhli?!

Personally, I love the city. Presuming you stayed outside proper Mumbai, that's where you get to feel how it is similar to Kolkata, you know! The way the local trains connect the greater part of these two cities, and all..

But, it's a city of bigger contrasts..

Anyway, so are you planning to be the next Ayesha in tinsel town? :)

Priyanshi said...

It was actually a Saturday night and a Sunday I used for making my judgement. Although my cousins did tell me the same...that I should've waited till Monday!